Marcel Proust (a French novelist & essayist) took this survey twice and is considered to have had the most memorable answers of all time. Thus, his name titled the survey, though he was not the one who created it. You can also find the questionnaire on the back page of Vanity Fair magazine.
Proust believed that by answering these specific questions, a person’s true nature could be revealed.
Let’s see if mine will be revealed here.
The Proust Questionnaire:
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Sitting by the fireplace, reading a book with a diet coke nearby.
2. What is your greatest fear? Losing people I love.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Shyness.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Arrogance.
5. Which living person do you most admire? My grandmother for her love, kindness to others and just general badassness.
6. What is your greatest extravagance? hair cuts, make-up and magazines. Ridiculous amounts of money have gone into all of them.
7. What is your current state of mind? Uneasiness, anxious, tired.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Patience. I just don’t have the time for it.
9. On what occasion do you lie? When I’ve been bad.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance? My hands, I wish they were smaller and more lady-like.
11. Which living person do you most despise? I try not to despise anyone, it does nobody any good.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man? Humour (and is ruggedness considered a quality? I like rugged also).
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Rebelliousness or defiance.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? “Oh my god” and “Rhino alert” come to mind.
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? Um…I’m not sure, maybe Wolverine.
16. When and where were you happiest? I’m at my happiest when I’m alone at home, the music is loud, I’m cleaning and singing till my voice breaks.
17. Which talent would you most like to have? A musical one. Preferably to be able to play flawless boogie woogie piano. Or Harmonica.
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’d change myself so I wouldn’t be as shy.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? Getting myself out of a really dark place that included quitting drinking/partying, working half a year in an environment where no one respected me or acknowledged my work (but hey, the pay was good), realizing I deserved better thus quitting that job, applying and getting accepted into graphic design school and then working the summer with the best boss ever.
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? Wolverine’s lady love…hahaha.
21. Where would you most like to live? In the books and world of Harry Potter.
22. What is your most treasured possession? My baby blanket that I’ve had since I was born.
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? To not feel or know love.
24. What is your favorite occupation? Reading books and/or magazines, drawing, cooking, singing or playing with the apps on my ipod.
25. What is your most marked characteristic? I honestly don’t know. I would think if I saw myself for the first time and had a really good look I would notice physically my body, my hair (if worn down), or my eyes.
26. What do you most value in your friends? Sense of humour, adventure, and an easy going, laid back personality.
27. Who are your favorite writers? J. K. Rowling, Jane Austen, Janet Evanovich & Charles DeLint.
28. Who is your hero of fiction? J. K. Rowling.
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with? … I truthfully don’t know.
30. Who are your heroes in real life? My grandmother. Because she has a great sense of humour and an endless supply of courage and love.
31. What are your favorite names? Leila, Leni, Isla, Traves and Caleb.
32. What is it that you most dislike? Slow drivers, people who can’t spell their/they’re/there, spiders, people who don’t clean up after themselves, scary movies and being scared.
33. What is your greatest regret? Not taking a “gap year” after high school.
34. How would you like to die? Old and in my sleep.
35. What is your motto? “all good things are wild and free”